Monday, January 11, 2010

Maggie And Your Baby Can Read

This is Maggie and I working on our "word cards" for Your Baby Can Read.

We've been watching the videos/looking at the books since October. I just started doing these cards a few weeks ago.

I know there are critics of this program. I have read that it doesn't really teach your kid to "read"; rather, it teaches them to "memorize."

I don't think it really has hurt anyone to memorize words. Kids aren't required to memorize ENOUGH these days, That's just my opinion ~ we expect too little from kids.

Anyway, it is certainly better than Sponge Bob Square Pants.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maggie is doing WAY better than Chloe is with this! Chloe won't do word testing...I know she knows the words because every once and awhile she will test but she will not just sit there and pick words out. Awesome job Maggie!!!! (And you too Mary Ann!!)
Oh...and I think everyone has words memorized...I certainly don't sound out every word as I read it, I know it by sight because I have it memorized. :)
~Nicky