I was adding pictures to my most recent post, and I came across photos of our Florida home-building process.
My husband had a blog that chronicled our building experience with photos, but it seems to have been lost in the nether of the internet.
The clearing of our lot began in November/December of 2008. We closed on our home in March of 2009.
It is an Adams Builders Craftsman two-story plan. This sketch was basically what I had to go on to get the gist of what it would look like. There was no home like this in our town so I couldn't walk through it; ours was the first (and I think, still only) home to be built with these features.
It would be fun, at some point (when my house is clean!) to do before and after photos of the interior.
Clearing of the lot. It is at the end of a cul-de-sac.
Look at how much the area by the fence has filled in!
We had a bobcat walk through our backyard several years ago. I didn't notice it, but when my (then) three-year-old started yelling about the "lion in the backyard," I quickly took notice.
We have bears. There are bear crossing signs everywhere here, as there are deer crossings in Minnesota.
Since moving into this home five years ago, we have had three cotton mouth snakes in our yard, one behemoth in our street and one baby (eek!) in our house.
I will save the "in the house" incident to discuss at a later time.
So, I was gardening ~ as I usually do ~ without gloves.
A sylvestris palm poked my thumb as I was cutting it, and a small fragment was left behind. I tried to squeeze it out. I used tweezers and a sewing needle to no avail.
You hear that your body will "push out" the offending foreign object. I possessed that hope for several days, because seriously, who wants to go to the doctor for sliver? I didn't.
It became infected. Then, I had some sort of reaction to whatever venom/bacteria/fungus the death trap possessed.
The first emergency room visit focused on the swelling and streak moving up my arm. I was put on Bactrim.
The second emergency room visit was concerning the insane stinging pain in my hand and joint. And honestly, I wasn't 100% confident in the weird, semi-unprofessional emergency room experience the day before. (I really, really hope they send me a survey.)
I was put on a second antibiotic.
The THIRD emergency room visit was because the redness was spreading and it was seriously freaking me. The heck. Out.
I was afraid that I would be that "Florida-Weird" story of a girl who was injured doing mundane yard work, and who ended up with her hand amputated.
During that third visit, the doctor lanced the wound because by that time it was an abscess. She cleaned the wound out with a syringe.
I walked into the hospital with a fever.
I walked out with a normal temperature, and twelve hours later the wound looked a million times better.
It was pretty amazing.
I took away several lessons from this entire incident:
1.) I will wear gloves while doing yard work.
2.) I will be more careful while doing yard work.
3.) I (probably) will not wear flip flops while doing yard work.
4.) Palm trees are pretty but can hurt you.
5.) I will not be a wallflower about a sliver.
6.) I will definitely be more appreciative of my health. It is amazing how something so seemingly silly took me down so completely.
I am hoping that this week will be much more uneventful; that was enough drama for me.