Wednesday, June 13, 2012

June Birchbox & MyGlam Disappointment

I received both of my monthly shipments of Birchbox and MyGlam on the same day this past weekend.  


Birchbox:
  • Comodynes, Self-Tanning Intensive:  Who needs the sun when you can get a safe, buildable, and natural-looking tan with these bestselling European towelettes.  Pack of 8, $14.99
  • Masqueology, Pore Minimizing Mask:  This targeted sheet mask shrinks visible pores while amping up your skin's moisture levels.  Use it daily and - if you're brave- during your next flight.  Full-size, $24.00
  • stila, one step bronze:  Fake an island glow with this three-in-one bronzer, primer and serum.  It also keeps your skin's oil production in check.  Full-size, $36.00
  • TheBalm cosmetics, Stainiac in Beauty Queen.  We're crazy about this two-in-one lip and cheek stain:  the sheer gel formula delivers a subtle, long-wearing flush.  Full-size, $17
  • Lifestyle extra:  tili bags.  Breeze through airport security with these too-cute plastic bags.  They're perfectly sized for storing all your travel essentials (and beauty samples).  Pack of 9-12, $8.49-$9.49
  • Birchbox Man Extra, John Varvatos, Star USA.  In honor of Father's Day, we've included this dapper cologne, a blend of ginger, juniper berries and vetiver.  Pass it on to a lucky guy friend or family member.  Full-size $55-$70
Birchbox's $10.00 cost was absolutely worth it this month.  

I will use everything in here, and was particularly excited to see the stila bronzer.   

I will find a use for the baggie (which I don't think got in the picture), the mask and the bronzer towelettes.  I will definitely try the stain.  I have Benefit Benetint, and it is "meh" on me; willing to try something different.

The sample men's cologne is pleasant, but  forgettable.  I make my husband wear the Thierry Mugler, Angel A*Men which is very unique.   I like it BECAUSE it is unique.  The John Varvatos cologne?  Not so unique.   But I'm sure he'll wear it because it is something different for him.


MyGlam:





















  • Philosophy, Take a Deep Breath Oil-Free Energizing Oxygen Gel Cream Moisturizer:  This lightweight moisturizer detoxifies and helps protect for a healthy-looking glow.  
  • NYX, Round Lipstick:  Incredible color that resists wear and smudging.  Let your lipstick last all night with an amazing velvety smooth, mineral formula.  
  • Living Proof, frizz Nourishing Styling Cream:  Stops frizz in its tracks, keeping all styles frizz-free, soft and smooth.  Living Proof's miracle molecule OFPMA, conquers frizz by blocking humidity without silicone or heavy oils.  
  • Marbella, Permanent Eyeliner Pen:  Master the art of beautiful eyes with this unique waterproof, smudge free and long-lasting semi-permanent eyeliner pen.  
I was mostly excited for the eyeliner pen.  I had an eye infection last month and had to throw out my black MAC Liquidlast eyeliner.   

I used the Marbella eyeliner pen one day, then went outside and worked in the yard for about ten minutes.  When I came back inside the liner had smeared ALL around both of my eyes.    

On another day,  I was caught in the rain.   When I  climbed in the car, I got a gander of myself in the rear view mirror.     I had black streaks down my face.  

So...I don't know what planet their claims of "smudge free" and "long lasting, semi-permanent" come from?  But  I have never used such a crappy eyeliner pen before in my entire life.     

I hate to rag on MyGlam, but  this is the second month I have received a lipstick in a funky color that is unusable for me.   Last month, I received a red color...but an "off" red.  Like the kind you would find in a dirty clearance basket at Big Lots.  

This month the NYX lipstick is a fuschia color.  Again, a bargain-bin Big Lots color.  

And though the monthly makeup bag seemed like a cute idea in the beginning, I am getting SO MANY makeup bags and I don't really use them.  I hate the thought of receiving something every month that will end up contributing to  landfill problems.  

The moisturizer is...."meh," because I don't really use a moisturizer if it doesn't have at least SPF 20 in it...living in Florida and all.    I will mostly likely give the frizz serum to my mother.  

I think I might cancel MyGlam after this month.   Overall, aside from the rare Urban Decay and the occasional Philosophy items, I feel like they are mostly samples of cheaper, drugstore cosmetics.   

What about you guys?    What is your opinions on these companies and their samples?    Are you happy with the products you are receiving?  

No comments: