Sunday, November 1, 2009

How To Get Rid of Fruit Flies and Tainted Cabernet

It took me over an hour to eat my dinner.

I ventured out to the local Panda Express for my pile of sadness in a bowl of desperation.

I brought it home to eat in relative peace; the husband and boys are at church tonight, the baby is not. The glass of cabernet that I poured took me about as long to drink.


Towards the end of the glass, I noticed chunks in the bottom. Hmm, I thought. Must have been the bottom of the barrel.


Alas, no. It was not.


A pesky fruit fly had been bothering me all night. Apparently, however, it was a multitude of fruit flies.
I don't know where they came from, but one never does. There is no fruit around here to be had.

Unfortunately, we haven't been models of a healthy, balanced diet in OUR house lately.


There were four dead fruit flies in the bottom of my glass.

Now, my blog is about to take a different turn momentarily.

I have a piece of unusually domestic advice to bestow upon you.
A friend told me this several years ago and I have used it numerous times to get rid of fruit flies.

You will need:


A glass
Two drops of dish soap
3 TBSP. sugar

1/4 C. cider vinegar


Directions: Place two drops of dish soap in the bottom of an 8 oz. glass. Add sugar, then cider vinegar. Fill it up w/ water, stirring to dissolve sugar. There will be bubbles on top, and these will trap the flies and they will fall to the bottom.

Place the glass in an area in the kitchen and watch the demise of the fruit flies.

It's actually quite entertaining.

I'm no Martha Stewart, but that is my good thing for the day.

**Takes a bow.

No comments: