She's 17. Hell no.
If the ads are like this NOW, I am horrified to think about what they will be when Maggie, my 3 year old, really starts paying attention to clothing ads.
I think "Seventeen" will be permanently banned from my house.
There are 6 & 7 year old girls singing along to this song in their cars all across America. I admit, it's catchy. But I have started turning it off because the lyrics are disgusting.
This is who little girls look up to. (She is HORRIBLE in concert, I have heard.)
I'm never letting my boys go into a bathroom by themselves ever again. Ever. Ever, ever EVER.
I am ready to lock my family up and never let them out of the house again.
I feel like decency and family values are under attack.
I have these little peas in my pod and I don't want any of this to reach them or affect them, but I know it will. It already has.
All I can do is pray for my own children, pray that God will keep them safe and that we make the best choices in life for them.
- A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds
- *More than five children die every day as a result of child abuse.2
- Approximately 80% of children that die from abuse are under the age of 4. 1
- It is estimated that between 50-60% of child fatalities due to maltreatment are not recorded as such on death certificates. 3
- More than 90% of juvenile sexual abuse victims know their perpetrator in some way. 4
- Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, within all religions and at all levels of education.
- About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse. 5
- About 80% of 21 year olds that were abused as children met criteria for at least one psychological disorder. 5
- The estimated annual cost of child abuse and neglect in the United States for 2007 is $104 billion. 6